25 July 2012

Learning From the Masters


Every once in a while the masters of my Kempo system will come from California to Utah and put on a seminar. I do my best to not miss them, because they're mind-blowingly awesome.

And I'm not just saying that because someone might read this and decide I'm not humble enough and come remind me that I'm really a white belt.

Watching the masters move is like getting listening to a symphony—there's so much going on that it's hard to catch it all. How did the seventh degree black belt get from here to there and how many times did they hit that guy before he hit the ground? Master Awesome will show us a move that ends spectacularly, and while I can appreciate the move in its entirety, my mind is still back on how in the world he got behind his opponent. How did that foot work go again?

After having spent almost three weeks at writing conferences over the past two months (yes, it has been a good year) I feel much like I do when I go to a Masters Seminar for Kempo.

Wow. Wowzers. Double Dog Wow-wowzers.

I've listened to, chatted with, laughed at, laughed with, cried because of and stood in awe of a handful of amazing writers. They all have different perspectives on writing and publishing, which makes them all invaluable assets to those of us who are still trying to figure out how it all works.

My mind is still swimming in the information I tried to digest during these three weeks. It's impossible to sort through it and figure out what I need right now. So instead, I gathered my notes and put them away. I thought back to the bits of information that really struck me, whether it be on the craft or business of writing, and I'm trying to incorporate them. If they struck me, and I still remember them, then they must be my next step to being a better and successful author.

Get that footwork right, and just maybe the next few punches will come naturally.

No comments: