18 February 2012

Words of Wisdom

I think I may have mentioned that an author at LTUE last weekend said, “You haven’t written your best book yet.” Tracy Hickman said it, if I am not mistaken.

I really liked not only that he said it, but how he said it. He looked at the crowd in the room, narrowed his eyes a little bit and shook his head before he spoke. Like we’d all been thinking some sort of self-depredating, naughty thoughts about our writing capabilities.

As I’ve thought about this comment, which I totally believe is true, I’ve also realized that it can be applied to most aspects of our lives. If you’re a runner, and you’re still working at improving, you probably haven’t run your best race yet. There is always, always, always more to learn and incorporate.

At one point in my life I thought that learning something once meant that I knew it. Primarily in my Kempo class. I would learn a form and think, “Great, that’s cool. I’ve got that.” And then Sensei would come along a few months later and point out something that I’d never noticed before. Not because I’m blonde (which I am) but because I didn’t have the foundation to understand it before.

So just remember, the best is yet to come!

3 comments:

AVDutson said...

Nice! I'm glad you posted this. I missed it and I just totally got to experience it.

That's probably my favorite part of LTUE, the supporting atmosphere.

Lace and Books said...

YOU HAVE GOT TO TELL ME WHEN THIS IS!!! I never remember and I wanted to go...Maybe we can think about the Colorado writers thing for fall.

Melissa Lemon said...

I totally agree. Loved episode 2; couldn't stop reading.