17 May 2011

Catching Fire


It's been a while since I did a book review. Secretly I wish to come up with a totally awesome system to rate books with. Something silly but that will still maybe help anyone who might want to read the book. Reality is that I haven't done it and probably won't for a while unless the fancy strikes me. And frankly, if fancy strikes, then I'll probably go out to a nice dinner.

Back to the book.

I actually loved this one! The Hunger Games intrigued me. This one sucked me in. I listened to them both on CD in my car, and a few times people found me sitting in my car because I wanted to listen to "just one more track."

Here's the inside blurb:
Against all odds, Katniss has won teh Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mallark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and her longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol--a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.

And they were horrifying. Peeta once again rocked the house. No, he's not the toughest customer in town, but he's smart and loyal. I loved the other characters they introduced, and the Capitol did indeed twist and twist things until breathing became impossible. Katniss (who is not my favorite character) was once again dumb, but I have to admit she has courage, and tries to help others.

For whatever reason (and I hadn't heard much about the book) I knew exactly what was going to happen for most of the story. It didn't matter, I still liked it. More than the first one. I'd share my favorite parts, but they'd be spoilers. I don't mind spoilers, but some people do.

No comments: