13 February 2011

Apropos

Last night I went to see the high school production of Les Miserables down at Woods Cross High, my old alma mater. (Just a side note, I had no idea that alma mater was spelled like that. When I look at the second word I think of 'Mater from Cars. You know, To-mater, without the to?)

I'll skip the nostalgia that came over me as we walked in. Sadly I haven't gained any height since High School, so the entire building doesn't seem shorter than it used to. Oh, sorry, I was going to skip this part.

As we sat and watched this powerful production about the French Revolution, I couldn't help but think of the recent protests in Egypt. I'm no expert on the subject, but I've paid enough attention to be extremely impressed by the fortitude of the Egyptian people. How easily could that entire situation have turned violent? But it didn't. The people persevered, following their dream of a better country and government for both themselves and their children.

A woman sitting behind us during the play told us that she'd been to Paris and had seen bullet holes in buildings from the French Revolution. Scars that will never be healed. How amazing is it that the world has changed so much? Not all of it for the better, and not all of it for the worse. We move forward the best we can, hoping that the next step will take us to a better place.

As Dory from Finding Nemo says, “Just keep swimming, just keep swimming . . .”

On a side note, I also thought it was apropos that Viewmont High is performing the Scarlet Pimpernel next month. Did they plan a whole French Revolution theme? Not that the two high schools would ever work together. No, no. There will be none of that!

3 comments:

Lace and Books said...

Great incites Jo.

I do, however, feel the need to correct you in that Les Mis. isn't set during the French Revolution (1789–99). It is set during the "June Uprising" which was an Anti-Monarchist protest in just Paris (and just with in the young student population) and was not supported by the French people and especially older Parisians who had lived through the Reign of Terror just 30 years earlier. They had had enough "revolution"

Their protests failed. Mostly because the "royal" at the head of French government at the time was moving the country towards democracy and was well liked. The students were just seen as trouble makers and anarchists. Okay History lesson over *laugh*

Lace and Books said...

ooops INSIGHTS! Frooodian

-Jo- said...

Bah, those French people are always in an uproar about something! (Hah, like I can say anything, I'm American) I need to Google more before I post. Thanks for the incite. -)