05 October 2010

Kids

This evening, I got to hang out with my niece and nephew for an hour or so. Once I got the niece off to her volleyball game, the nephew and I got to have some fun.

Frankly, he's always been pretty funny. He's a social creature who loves to chatter. He's been dressing himself since he was about 2 years old, and sometimes you can totally tell. But he does it “by myself!” so what can you say?

Tonight I asked him if he had had dinner yet. He said yes (little did I know that dinner consisted of fruit snacks, mind you). I said, “Good thing, I'm really not much of a cook.”

Okay, so I can cook, but I have to follow a recipe. I'm not much of a creative cook. Creativity and the kitchen equal disaster in my world. Disaster and a lot of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Well, my nephew, who is 6 years old, looks at me very seriously and says, “Would you like me to whip something up for you?”

Really? It was all I could do not to laugh out loud at the kid. He's so funny. All kids are like that. You get them talking and they'll tell you how they see the world, and sometimes it's so honest it's painful. But who am I to talk? Most people have kids, and they know this all to well.

No comments: